The Legacy House is an icon of preserving the heritage that shaped the Riverton, Utah area. The old schoolhouse which adjoins the new house was built in the winter of 1879-1880. Eight years later a fired brick addition was added. This little building hosted church, school and social activities in the community until 1910 when more modern facilities were built. It was then sold and privately owned by John Wiberg.
David Hall has significant ties to those who built the building, and to the Coy family who lived there until 2007. His desire was to preserve not only the schoolhouse itself, but the legacy and story as well. At this time the Hall family began to restore the meetinghouse. During which the foundation of the original building could not hold the strain and collapsed. Thankfully the brick portion of the building remained. The beams, brick and the foundation of the original structure have been repurposed as bookshelves and beams in the schoolhouse. Fireplace surrounds in Legacy House and benches in the backyard were constructed out of the salvaged pieces. Even the old Elm tree that stood on the property was saved and used for the wood floors throughout Legacy House. Great lengths were taken to integrate both structures in detail and style. The 1888 addition had prominent architecture that was mimicked throughout the project including the eyebrow brick arches above the windows.
Now fully restored, the schoolhouse exists as a museum as well as a Mother-In-Law Suite which adjoins Legacy House. It consists of a living room, bedroom, bathroom, and galley kitchen. David Hall’s daughter and her family, Barbara and John Catron, reside in and care for the Legacy House.