Basic builder-grade kitchens are a fact of life. Sometimes you just have to live with it, when going custom isn't in the budget. The good news is a basic kitchen just needs a little decorative nudge to make them more special. Here are a couple of inexpensive tweaks and improvements to upgrade your space, that don’t require major renovations or time.
1. The absolute easiest thing you can do is swap out hardware for knobs and pulls that compliment the style of your cabinets.
2. Pair bottom stock cabinets with open shelving instead of upper cabinets. You can utilize the same amount of storage while giving your kitchen a more open feel.
4. Paint can go a long way, you shouldn't be afraid to paint your cabinets. Painting your cabinets adds impact, if you want to up the ante you could paint your base cabinets or an island a darker shade and keep it lighter on your upper cabinets.
3. Add corbels or extra molding to your island for a more custom feel. If you need to paint the island or refinish it, it's okay. Having a contrasting island is very on trend.
5. Consider the details. Small changes like crown molding on the top of cabinets, or feet on your base cabinets can take a basic builder kitchen up a notch.